The pre-trial in a Columbus DUI case is often the initial opportunity to begin discussing/negotiating your case with the prosecutor. If your goal is to achieve a reduction in your case to a lesser offense, such as a physical control or reckless operation, the prosecutor has to be convinced of the evidentiary weaknesses in the case.
The evidentiary weaknesses may include whether there was a reasonable suspicion to stop your vehicle and whether there was probable cause to arrest you for OVI or DUI. Probable cause consists of a number of different factors, including:
- How you were driving
- How you pulled over
- How you looked
- How you smelled
- What you said to the officer
- How you did on the roadside field sobriety tests
- Whether the roadside field sobriety tests were performed properly on you
At Luftman, Heck and Associates, our experienced team of Columbus criminal defense attorneys are certified in the administration of Standardized Field Sobriety Tests (SFST’s) by completing the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) DWI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing course.
If you took a breath test, there are additional evidentiary issues that need to be looked into, including:
- Whether you were asked to take the breath test within two hours of the time you were stopped
- Whether you took the breath test within three hours of the time you were stopped
- Whether you were observed simultaneously for 20 minutes prior to taking the test
- Whether the officer conducting the test is properly certified to do so
- Whether a calibration check was done on the machine you tested on within seven days or 192 hours prior to taking your test
- Whether the officer conducting the calibration check is properly certified to do so
- Whether there were issues or inconsistencies with the calibration check
Trust a Columbus DUI Pretrial Hearing Lawyer from LHA
Our training allows individuals on our team to easily identify what errors the arresting officer made during your OVI arrest. Despite what you may have heard, there can be mistakes made by law enforcement officers. When you choose the Columbus DUI pretrial hearing attorneys with LHA to represent your case, we will investigate all possibilities surrounding your arrest and leverage the errors made by the arresting officer in an effort to negotiate a reduction of the charges, license suspension, and penalties.
If we are able to resolve your case in a favorable manner at pre-trial, your case may be concluded at that time. Alternatively, a guilty plea may be entered and your case may be set for a sentencing date at a later point in time.
If we are unable to resolve your case in a favorable manner, the case would then be set for a suppression hearing or trial.
At Luftman, Heck & Associates, we can help you confront the DUI court process after your arrest to trial. By advocating for your rights and thinking strategically about your case defense, we will maximize your chances of obtaining a positive case result. If you’ve been charged with OVI, call us today at (614) 500-3836 for a free and confidential consultation of your case.
Need a Columbus DUI Pretrial Hearing Lawyer? Contact Us.
If you’ve been charged with a OVI / DUI, it’s important to know what you’re up against. If you have any questions left unanswered by this page, or if you need a competent, experienced Columbus DUI attorney to fight for you in court, please contact us at (614) 500-3836 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.