Free Consultation / 24 Hours a Day - (614) 500-3836

Practice Areas

Lawyer for 12-Point Suspensions in Ohio

If you accumulate 12 points on your Ohio driver’s license in a two-year period, you will receive an additional 12 point license suspension. A 12 point suspension is six months in length and is effective the 20th day after the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) mails the notice.

If you feel you were wrongly suspended, you may appeal the 12 point suspension. If cause can be shown why your driving privileges should not be suspended, your appeal needs to be filed in the county or municipal court in the jurisdiction in which you reside. You must also agree to pay the cost of the proceedings. Your appeal should be filed before the beginning date of the suspension. If you are under the age of 18, the appeal must be filed in the juvenile court in the jurisdiction in which you reside.

Reinstatement Requirements ORC Section 4510.038:

  • You must successfully complete a remedial driving instruction course given by an accredited remedial school, if you are 18 years of age or younger you may complete the juvenile driver improvement program. The course completion date must be after the conviction date of the triggering offense.
  • You must file FRA (financial responsibility) Insurance (SR 22 or Bond).
  • Form BMV 2000 will be mailed to you as your notification to retake a complete driver license examination.
  • A reinstatement fee of $40 will be required to be paid to the BMV.

You may also file a petition for driving privileges during your 12 Point Suspension. You need to first check with the county in which you reside to see if they offer driving privileges. If not, Franklin County is the default county to file your application for driving privileges during a 12 Point Suspension.

Need Legal Help? Contact us.

If you are looking to overcome your 12-point suspension, you might need one of our experienced Columbus criminal defense attorneys to represent you at hearings and court dates to achieve a best possible outcome. To contact Luftman, Heck & Associates, call us at (614) 500-3836 or email us via

I can FINALLY breathe easy now. I want to thank Mr. Bowen and all the attorneys that helped me with this case.

Read Our Reviews