When you’re charged with a criminal offense, there are likely several questions running through your mind. If you’ve been arrested for a crime, you might be asking yourself, “will I go to jail,” or “how will this affect my job or driver’s license?” Facing criminal charges is a daunting situation for anyone, so if you find yourself accused of a crime, you’ll need the skilled counsel of an experienced defense lawyer who will help guide you through the process.
Scroll for more information
“The professionalism you both have shown since I started interacting with your firm is no doubt the best I have ever seen. You guys are simply the best.”
Luftman, Heck & Associates client
Criminal Defense Practice Areas
The attorneys at our firm have helped clients with several legal issues, including cases regarding the following:
Driving Under the Influence
If you’re facing charges for DUI, it’s important to speak with a Columbus DUI attorney right away. A conviction for this offense can have far-reaching effects on every aspect of your life, including your ability to maintain employment, keeping your driver’s license, and more. These consequences can be severe for people who have professional licenses after a DUI to practice their professions.
Domestic Violence Charges
While getting into a physical scuffle with a friend or family member over a minor issue doesn’t seem like a big deal, in the eyes of the law, you’ve committed a crime. If you’re facing charges for an assault offense in Columbus, reach out to Luftman, Heck & Associates for help today.
Carrying an open container of alcohol in a prohibited area, drinking underage, and selling alcohol to minors are all examples of crimes that can bring with them harsh penalties. To avoid possible jail time, large fines, and more consequences, you’ll need the help of a skilled Columbus criminal defense attorney who understands the laws of these situations.
Certain traffic violations, though minor, can bring with them serious consequences. Multiple speeding tickets, hit and runs, and fleeing and eluding can all cost you significant amounts of money, the potential loss of your license, and possible time behind bars. If you’re facing charges for a traffic offense in Columbus, call us today for help.
Driving Under Suspension
Do not hesitate to reach out to a lawyer if you have been charged with driving on a suspended driver’s license. This offense can even be committed if you are caught driving while violating any restrictions on your license. Work with an attorney at our Columbus criminal defense law firm today. We will fight hard to obtain a fair outcome in your case.
Drug crimes in Columbus range in severity, but having even a misdemeanor drug offense on your record can impact your ability to maintain certain professional licenses, cause child custody/visitation issues, and also put you behind bars. A Columbus drug defense attorney can help you understand the charges against you, develop a strong defense, and present your case in court.
If you’re convicted of a federal crime, you face a number of harsh consequences. To fight charges of a crime you allegedly committed, you’ll need a skilled Columbus federal defense attorney to help you understand your situation, provide information about federal laws, and prepare you for court.
Kidnapping & Abduction Charges
If you’ve been accused of kidnapping or abduction (two different crimes under Ohio law), you will need an attorney on your side who will employ every offense available under the law to ensure that your rights remain protected, and that you avoid any harsh statutory penalties.
Murder & Manslaughter
Being accused of taking another person’s life is a serious offense, and if you’re convicted of such a crime, you could face a lengthy prison sentence, hefty fines, and several collateral consequences that will affect your life greatly. If you allegedly committed such a crime, call our Columbus murder defense attorneys for help.
Theft & Fraud Offenses
Theft charges in Ohio range from first-degree misdemeanors to first-degree felonies. This means if you’re convicted of such a crime, you face anywhere from six months in jail to several years in prison. Don’t let allegations of a theft offense to follow you around. Reach out to a Columbus theft attorney today.
Offenses Against Justice
If you resist arrest, provide false information to law enforcement, or tamper with evidence related to a crime, you face a myriad of potential penalties that can make it difficult to find a job, rent an apartment, and more.
Damaging another’s property, whether through arson, vandalism, or another act, is a serious offense. If convicted, you could be forced to pay large fines, and even serve a term of incarceration. Call our Columbus property damage attorneys for help in understanding the laws that surround these types of crimes.
Robbery, Burglary, and Trespassing
If you’re found guilty of robbery, burglary, or trespassing, you face several statutory and collateral penalties that can make your day-to-day life extremely difficult. To ensure this doesn’t happen, call our Columbus criminal defense lawyers today for help.
Sexual battery, rape, voyeurism, and solicitation are all examples of sex crimes committed in Ohio. The level of offense for these crimes varies, so to better understand the charges you are facing, it’s important to retain the counsel of a skilled Columbus sex crimes lawyer.
Weapons & Firearms Charges
Firearms and other weapons are highly-regulated in Ohio. If you violate a law that concerns a handgun or other weapon, you could face a variety of damaging consequences. A Columbus weapons attorney can explain such penalties and walk you through every step of the legal process if you’ve been accused of a firearms offense.
Possible Penalties and Consequences of a Conviction
Every criminal offense in the Columbus area, from misdemeanors to felonies, are treated seriously. You will need equally serious legal representation to avoid a harsh case outcome. Often, when someone is unexpectedly thrust into the criminal justice system, the complexities can quickly become overwhelming, but a knowledgeable Columbus criminal defense lawyer will guide you through the process.
If you are convicted of a crime in Columbus, you will face possible penalties and consequences, including:
- Permanent Criminal Record
- Employment Issues
- Costly Fines
- Substance Abuse Treatment
- Diversion Programs
- Suspension or Revocation of Your Driver’s License
- Denial of Affordable Housing
- Immigration Issues
- Loan/Financial Aid Ineligibility
- Denial of a Professional License
Criminal Defense Topics and Issues
At Luftman, Heck & Associates, our Columbus criminal attorneys provide our clients with an aggressive and thorough defense, regardless of the charges. If you need a dedicated advocate to preserve your rights and represent your best interests, we are here for you.
Every case and client is unique; however, here are some common issues individuals in the Columbus area encounter:
- Arrest Rights – Learn about your constitutional rights and how a capable defense lawyer can ensure they are protected.
- Criminal Investigations – If you are the subject of a criminal investigation, it is important to know what you are up against and how an experienced Columbus criminal defense attorney can help.
- Expungements – Living with a conviction can significantly limit your future. Learn how a legal professional can help you remove these hurdles.
- Probation Violations – Court-ordered probation is a serious matter. If you are accused of violating the terms of your probation agreement, you’ll need a Columbus criminal defense lawyer to set things right.
- Parole Violations – You should always treat these offenses as seriously as your original charge.
- Search & Seizure Laws – Learn about your property rights and how a lawyer can help if these rights are violated through an illegal search or seizure.
- Asset Forfeiture – If the government believes your property is connected to a crime, they may attempt to take it. Learn how a lawyer can help protect your property.
- Types of Pleas – Negotiating for the best possible outcome in your case can be very complicated, and you will need a seasoned legal professional who has your best interests in mind.
- Bail & Bond – Learn how Ohio uses the bail and bond system to ensure you appear in court to address specific charges.
- False Accusations – Facing a false accusation or charge of committing a crime in Ohio can be a startling event to absorb. However, our attorneys have the experience you need to form an intelligent and effective defense on your behalf.
- Burden of Proof – With criminal charges in Columbus, it is the prosecution’s responsibility to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. Learn how a skilled criminal defense lawyer will craft an effective defense to raise this doubt.
- Pardons – Learn about your eligibility to have a past crime forgiven in Ohio, and how a qualified attorney can help with this process.
- Judicial Release – Previously known as “shock probation” in Ohio, judicial release is an act of leniency based on certain criteria and the offender’s conduct while in custody. To discuss the possibility of being released early, contact LHA and set up a free consultation.
Learn what distinquishes a misdemeanor from a felony. Although a misdeamnor is considered to be a lesser crime than a felony, both can carry significant penalties. An experienced Columbus criminal defense lawyer can better explain the situation you are facing. At Luftman, Heck & Associates, we provide 100% free and confidential consultations.
If you have been charged with a crime, contact us TODAY for a FREE consultation.
Call or Text us 24/7 at
Or fill out our online form to start your case today.
How a Columbus Criminal Defense Attorney Can Help
It is perfectly natural to be scared if you are charged with a crime. The process is often grueling and full of uncertainty since the outcome can have long-lasting and serious repercussions. When you are represented by Luftman, Heck & Associates, you can rest assured that our attorneys will be with you every step of the way as we build a strong defense. We will answer your questions clearly and honestly, and we will fight for the best possible outcome in your case.
Facing criminal charges in Columbus is not easy. Below you will find information relating to the state’s legal system and how a skilled lawyer from our firm can help:
- Why Hire a Criminal Defense Lawyer? – Understandably, it is hard to navigate the system without experience, and having effective legal representation in any criminal case can be a significant advantage.
- Arraignment – This will be your first appearance in court, and a Columbus criminal defense lawyer can help you understand the charges against you and enter an appropriate plea.
- Plea Negotiations & Deals – Finding the best possible outcome typically involves in-depth negotiations. A capable attorney will fight for you and explain the effect of any plea agreement on your charges.
- Pretrial Hearings – This is where your Columbus criminal defense lawyer and the prosecution will trade evidence and build their respective cases. A quality lawyer will keep you informed, and their attention to detail will be vital to crafting your defense.
- Criminal Trials – This is where arguments are made regarding your charges and whether your case is heard before a judge or jury.
- Misdemeanor Sentences – There are various classes of misdemeanor offenses in Ohio, and a knowledgeable attorney will explain the difference and potential impacts of these charges.
- Felony Sentences – If you are convicted of a felony-level offense in Ohio, the aftermath will affect you for years to come. A good defense lawyer will work to protect your interests and future.
- Criminal Appeals – After a conviction, you have the right to fight the verdict. A knowledgeable attorney will review your case for flaws in the original process to find grounds to appeal your case.
- Alternative Sentencing Programs – Rather than filling Ohio’s jails and prisons, options exist to rehabilitate some offenders instead of punishing them. An experienced criminal defense attorney can determine if you qualify and can find the most appropriate option.
Despite misdemeanors carrying less penalities than felonies, misdemeanors can still appear on a background check. Learn more in this video.
Are You in Legal Trouble? Review Our Practice Areas and Contact Us Today
If you have been charged with a crime, you’re probably wondering what your options are. The Columbus criminal defense attorneys at Luftman, Heck & Associates have years of experience handling various types of cases and winning optimal outcomes for our clients. Call us today for a free consultation at (614) 500-3836, or reach out through our online form.