Criminal Defense Overview
Being accused and charged with a crime will undoubtedly turn your whole world upside down. You’ll suddenly face the uncertainty of defending your good name, your family’s future, and your freedom. While criminal charges are dreadful for anyone to deal with, if you find yourself up against Ohio’s harsh criminal justice system, you don’t need to fight alone. Trust the skill and experience of a Columbus criminal defense attorney with Luftman, Heck & Associates.
Call us today at to discuss your situation and how we can help.
Possible Penalties and Consequences of a Conviction
Every criminal offense in the Columbus area, from misdemeanors to felonies, are treated very seriously and you will need equally serious legal representation to avoid some very bleak outcomes. Often, when someone is unexpectedly thrust into the criminal justice system, the complexities can quickly become overwhelming, but a knowledgeable criminal defense lawyer will guide you through the process towards the best possible outcome.
If you are convicted of a crime in Ohio, you will face possible penalties and consequences including, but not limited to:
- A Permanent Criminal Record
- Job Loss / Being Denied Employment
- Costly Fines
- Substance Abuse Treatment
- Diversion Programs
- Losing Your Driver’s License
- Denial of Affordable Housing
- Negative Effects on Your Immigration Status
- Loan/ Financial Aid Ineligibility
- Denial of a Professional License
Criminal Defense Topics and Issues
At Luftman, Heck & Associates, our Columbus criminal attorneys provide all our clients with an aggressive and thorough defense, regardless of the charges. If you need a dedicated advocate to preserve your rights and represent your best interests, we are here for you.
Every case and every client is unique; however, here are some common issues that individuals in the Columbus area encounter:
- Arrest Rights – Learn about your constitutional rights and how a capable defense lawyer can ensure they are protected.
- Criminal Investigations – If you are the subject of a criminal investigation, it is important to know what you are up against and how an experienced attorney can help.
- Expungements – Living with a conviction can significantly limit your future. Learn how a legal professional can help you remove these hurdles.
- Probation Violations – Court-ordered probation is a serious matter and if you are accused of violating the terms, you’ll need a lawyer to set things right.
- Parole Violations – You should always treat these offenses as seriously as your original charge with help from a skilled criminal defense lawyer.
- Search & Seizure Laws – Learn about your property rights and how a lawyer can help if these rights are violated through an illegal search or seizure.
- Asset Forfeiture – If the government believes your property is connected to a crime, they may attempt to take your home, car, or cash as contraband. Learn how a lawyer can help protect your property.
- Types of Pleas – Negotiating for the best possible outcome in your case can be very complicated and you will need a seasoned legal professional who has your best interests in mind.
- Bail & Bond – Learn how Ohio uses the bail and bond system to ensure you appear in court to address your specific charges.
- Burden of Proof – With criminal charges, it is the prosecution’s responsibility to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. Learn how a skilled criminal defense lawyer will craft an effective defense to raise this doubt.
- Pardons – Learn about your eligibility to have a past crime forgiven in Ohio and how a qualified attorney can help with this process.
How a Criminal Defense Attorney Can Help
It is perfectly natural to be scared and to have a lot of questions if you are charged with a crime. The process is grueling and full of uncertainty since the outcome can have long lasting and serious repercussions.
When you are represented by Luftman, Heck & Associates, you can rest assured that our attorneys will be with you every step of the way as we build a strong defense, we will answer your question clearly and honestly, and we will tenaciously fight for the best possible outcome in your case.
Facing criminal charges in Ohio is not easy. Below you will find information relating to the state’s legal system and how a skilled defense lawyer can help.
- Why Hire a Criminal Defense Lawyer? – Understandably, it is hard to navigate the system without experience and having effective legal representation in any criminal case can be a significant advantage.
- Arraignment — This is will be your first appearance in court and a lawyer can help you understand the charges against you and enter an appropriate plea.
- Plea Negotiations & Deals – Finding the best possible outcome typically involves in-depth negotiations. A capable attorney will fight for you and explain the effect of any plea agreement on your charges.
- Pretrial Hearings – This is where your defense lawyer and the prosecution will trade evidence and build their respective cases. A quality lawyer will keep you informed and their attention to detail will be paramount to crafting your defense.
- Criminal Trials – This is where arguments are made regarding your charges and whether your case is heard before a judge or jury, a skilled attorney will argue passionately on your behalf.
- Misdemeanor Sentences – There are various classes of misdemeanor offenses in Ohio and a knowledgeable attorney will explain the difference and potential impact of these charges.
- Felony Sentences – If you are convicted of a felony level offense in Ohio, the aftermath will affect you for years to come and likely the rest of your life. A veteran defense lawyer will work to protect your interests.
- Criminal Appeals – After a conviction, you have the right to fight the verdict. A knowledgeable attorney will review your case for flaws in the original process to find grounds to appeal your case.
- Alternative Sentencing Programs – Rather than filling Ohio’s jails and prisons, options exist to rehabilitate some offenders instead of punishing them. An experienced criminal defense attorney can determine if you qualify and can find the most appropriate option.
Contact Luftman, Heck & Associates Today
At Luftman, Heck & Associates our goal is to preserve our client’s rights, protect their futures, and safeguard their freedom. We believe everyone is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Our lawyers will listen to your side of the story, so we can gather the information that the police or prosecution may not have considered to build the strongest possible criminal defense strategy.