Ohio Traffic Fines and Violations
Traffic violations, traffic tickets, and traffic fines are common in Ohio – in fact, law enforcement issues more speeding tickets in Ohio than any other state in the U.S. Don’t pay your ticket – fight your charge with the help of an experienced Ohio traffic attorney. At Luftman, Heck & Associates, we are committed to the best defense possible for every type of charge, from traffic violations to complex criminal charges.
Find Your Ohio Traffic Violation
Assured Clear Distance Ahead
Driving Too Slowly
Failure to Stop at a Stop Sign
Failure to Stop for a School Bus
Following Too Closely
Starting and Backing Without Safety
Eluding and Fleeing
Multiple Speeding Tickets
Traffic Control Device Violation
Failure to Control
Failure to Turn
Failure to Yield
Turning at Intersections
Hit & Run/Leaving the Scene of an Accident
Traffic Violations FAQ
Why Fight a Traffic Ticket in Ohio?
You might have found this website while trying to figure out how to pay your traffic fine online or to learn if you can defend yourself in traffic court. You might be wondering, “Should I just pay the ticket and avoid the hassle?”
It’s simple – no, you should not pay your ticket. There is always something that can be done to fight your traffic charge, and there are several good reasons not to pay the ticket:
- You will get demerit points on your driving record. A clean driving record is worth keeping, because you never know when you might get into an accident or have some other issue arise where multiple points get added to your license. We have seen cases where people have had clean driving records for years, and then gotten multiple speeding tickets and traffic infractions coincidentally in a week. Accumulating 12 points in a two (2) year period will suspend your driving privileges for six (6) months and you will need to take a remedial driving class. We encourage potential clients to look up their unofficial driving record on the Ohio BMV website to see if they have points. Many people forget about an infraction here or there over the last couple of years.
- Your auto insurance premiums will likely go up. One thing we hear frequently is that hiring a Columbus traffic attorney is expensive up front. We understand that. However, points on your license will likely ping your auto insurance provider and cause an increase in your premiums. Even one speeding ticket could raise your rates by 11-12 percent based on surveys, which adds up over the long term payment of your premium. On the other hand, we offer payment plans to our traffic clients to offset the financial burden so you can make the best decision for your situation.
- You may not have been speeding or violating the traffic laws like law enforcement reported. Many times it’s a matter of justice. If you did not feel that you were speeding or violating the law like the police officer who wrote your citation reported, this is your opportunity to speak up. If you pay the ticket, you are essentially saying that you were guilty of violating the law.
You can read our full list of reasons on why you should fight a speeding ticket for more information.
Why Trust the Ohio Traffic Attorneys with LHA?
You might be thinking, “Great, you have my attention – I’m going to fight my ticket. But why should I hire an attorney when I can go to traffic court myself?”
This is an excellent question, and it’s one that we get frequently. It might seem easy to get a judge or prosecutor to drop your traffic ticket or to believe your side of the story, especially if you know someone who was able to do that. However, it’s very rare that a prosecutor or judge will dismiss or reduce your traffic charge.
Here are some reasons why you should hire a Columbus traffic lawyer to take your case:
- We are experienced at negotiating with the prosecutors and judges. At Luftman, Heck & Associates, our Columbus defense lawyers are in court almost every day representing clients on traffic and criminal charges. We can find errors or evidentiary issues that you may miss. It’s also easy to think that you can convince a judge or prosecutor to see your side, but their questioning may lead to an emotional or frustrated tone and a response that shows a weakness in your story.
- We may be able to attend court on your behalf. If you’re like most of our clients, you don’t have the time to take off of work or find a babysitter to watch your kids while you run off to court. Many times we can appear on your behalf to negotiate an optimal outcome for your traffic case without you needing to be in court at all. This depends on a few things – the judge presiding over your case, your driving record and if there’s a suspension at stake, and other factors.
- You can rest easy knowing that you will get the best possible outcome for your situation. Many of our traffic clients have never had to deal with the legal system before. We simplify the process and handle almost all of it so you don’t have to worry. We’ll ensure that your rights as a motorist are protected and defended, and that you don’t have more fines or court costs than you ought to. Having an experienced Columbus traffic attorney represent you can make a difference in your auto insurance premiums and your driving record.