According to USA Today, the cost of a Driving Under the Influence (DUI) ticket could cost you as much as $30,000 when you consider fees, court costs, and other expenses.
Many factors influence the financial impact of a drunk driving conviction. Some of these costs are immediate, like fines and court fees, and others come later and include lost income because of your record or higher insurance rates. One of the things that influence the actual cost of a DUI is where you are pulled over and charged with impaired driving. For instance, the price of a DUI in Columbus, Ohio, is different than in other parts of the country.
We’ll explore the economic effects of a drunk driving conviction in Columbus, but keep in mind every jurisdiction is different with distinct fees and price fluctuations. Also, in addition to the financial costs, you could go to jail, lose your license, and damage your reputation.
What Does a DUI Cost in Columbus, Ohio?
The financial costs associated with an OVI in Ohio can be exorbitant. In addition to any fines you receive as part of your sentence, you can also expect multiple other expenses associated with your DUI.
Other financial costs for a DUI:
- Bail if you are arrested for a DUI
- Towing and impound fees
- License reinstatement fees
- Court costs and fees, when applicable
- Cost of using public transportation, rideshare, or paying for a friend to drive you
- Purchase and install an ignition interlock device or alcohol-monitoring ankle bracelets
- Higher insurance premiums, sometimes as much as a 25% increase
There is also the cost of lost days at work if in jail, court appearances, alcohol education programs, and community service.
Factors That Influence DUI Costs in Columbus
Your specific expenses for a DUI conviction depend on the circumstances of your case. Fees and fines are higher for a BAC of 0.16%, which is double the legal limit. There are other considerations, including:
- Your age
- Previous DUIs
- If you caused bodily injury or death
- If there was a minor in the vehicle with you
- If you violate any other driving laws
Personal Costs of a DUI in Columbus, Ohio
Financial costs are not the only way to suffer if you are found guilty of a DUI in Columbus. There are many personal costs you could face as well.
- Loss of professional license
- Difficulty qualifying for life insurance or paying higher premiums
- Loss to reputation
- Potential problems with child custody or visitation
The consequences of an OVI in Ohio are far harsher than most people realize. A Columbus DUI attorney can help you avoid conviction or suffer from the most severe penalties.
Contact a Columbus DUI Lawyer for Help Today
If you’re charged with a DUI in Columbus, Ohio, the costs of a conviction are just too high. Sometimes reaching in the thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars, building a solid defense, and pursuing a favorable outcome should be viewed as an investment and could save you a lot in the long run.